Sunday, September 5, 2010

Nobody's Perfect

When you are the owner of your own business it seems the work never ceases.  Ideas for designs come in the middle of the night and the desire to get them onto paper and begin that glorious stitching process tugs at me daily.

But... so does the desire to create a well-written product.  So many quilters tell me that the patterns they buy sometimes are the worst written patterns.  The instructions aren’t clear and diagrams are confusing.  There just simply isn’t enough instruction included in the pattern.  I have never heard anyone complain that there was TOO MUCH instruction.  So I am constantly reminded that just sitting down and sketching out an idea simply isn’t enough.  You must be clear and concise, you must provide adequate diagrams and you must make sure that your product is free of mistakes.  


This seems simple and obvious but so many pattern authors neglect those important details.  So I do my best to try to write clear and concise patterns with lots of instruction.  I test each and every pattern to make sure there are no mistakes (an important lesson that I learned early on.)  Although every now and then when I attempt a new printing on an old design I find little typos here and there... and I can’t tell you how frustrating this can be.  


While rechecking a pattern for a new print run I found about three typos where I simply left out the letter on a word.  I realize on the whole... this isn’t that big of an issue.  But for me, it feels like I have let you down as a designer.  So... I would like to say I’m truly sorry.  If you have purchased a pattern and were forced to read through a typo... I apologize.  I try to do a much better job of editing than the local newspaper... but alas... I am not perfect.  


During the new marketing process that we are going through we are taking care to re-edit many of the patterns... just as an update.  It’s always good to back over what is written and see if there is any way that it can be improved.  I have actually found a few other things to correct... a few methods that I have learned over the years that are more simple and easy to use.  


So if you are new to our designs I am sure you will find the patterns easy to use and simple to understand.  If you are a faithful follower you will be pleased to see the new logo and new cover designs which we are hoping will make us more eye-catching to the quilting world.  


Thanks so much for your support and patronage.

~Penni

No comments:

Post a Comment