Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Rather Blustery Sales Day

This weekend I had the pleasure of hosting a booth at the Backyard Quilt and Craft Show in Middletown, Delware.  The show was hosted by the owner of the Lil’ Country Shoppe in Middletown.   It is not often that I do a retail booth, preferring of course to concentrate on the designing and writing of the patterns... but this weekend I made an exception.  
On occasion it is really nice to be able to mingle with people and show them my designs.  I love hearing your feedback.  Some of you are even kind enough to make suggestions on possible future projects and I love the inspiration.   Everyone seemed to really enjoy both the artisan booths at the show and the quilts under cover.  But there was nothing they enjoyed more than the weather.
It was a beautiful sunny day with a gorgeous breeze.  I think strolling along in the sun with a little wind on my face and shopping for quilt stuff sounds spectacular.  I wish I could have joined all of you.  
Unfortunately for me... I was actually running the booth.   It was my job to make a presentable and inviting booth for you to want to stroll through.  Someplace to linger and look at quilts and browse the pattern rack.  This is quite challenging on a gorgeous and breezy day.
For those strolling along the “avenue” the breeze was wonderful.  After all, the weather the previous day was sticky and hot and topped at about 98 degrees.   So the customers couldn’t have been more thrilled to feel a little wind at their back... and occasionally their front.
But... for the lady with the quilts in her booth... The wind was a disaster.  I could not stop the quilts from blowing in all different directions.  They turned around... they fell down... they blew into people’s faces... into the pattern rack... and on several occasions caught the wind and tried to take both tents with them.  At some point in the day... Susan, my trusty helper, and I just gave up trying to make a beautiful booth and were satisfied with not blowing completely away into the parking lot.  When we left the show that day, after packing all the tents, tables and wares away... we felt like we had spent the entire day sailing on the bay... only without the relaxation.  
I thought I would share with you the photos I tried to get of the booth... it was useless... but still a great story.  I would also like to give a hearty thank you to all the customers who came out that day to meet me... you were all very nice and very generous and I thank you for that.  I would absolutely love to come back next year with some new designs... however, I think next year... I will take Doris’ advice and set up behind the barn...


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment